This decorated lambskin apron was discovered on the body of a dead French office after the Battle of Waterloo on 18th June 1815. It is believed that at that time it was common practice for Masons involved in battle to carry proof of their Masonic membership in order to possibly receive improved treatment in the event of capture and imprisonment.
The apron as received by the Warrington Museum of Freemasonry had been for many years fastened into a display frame with just the decorated portion of the apron visible behind glass. The apron had been fastened into the frame by many small steel nails which had rusted over time and both the punctures and rust staining are clearly visible on the above photograph together with the area which had remained visible on through the glass and which has suffered some light damage. The apron has now been professionally conserved remounted so that the whole apron is visible.
The above is a photograph of the signed provenance notice stating the history of the Waterloo Apron and which was mounted in the original display frame together with the apron. This notice has also been remounted together with the conserved apron.